Thank you for your interested in working at Broad Street Ministry! We are currently looking to hire a Case Manager.
Reports to: Director of Social Services
Hospitality Collaborative Summary: The Hospitality Collaborative is a key aspect of our vision for Philadelphia: we envision the day when everyone crossing our threshold flourishes as they participate fully as valued members of a mutually supportive community.
This newly-created position is designed to connect guests to needed services and care, with a focus on developing trusting relationships with guests. These relationships will then lead to increased access to benefits, possible housing opportunities, drug and alcohol counseling, and other mental and physical health services available with support from BSM and community providers. The overall program encourages guests to be as healthy as possible, and be able to successfully pursue their goals. Services are primarily delivered in conjunction with the meals we serve and while other service programs are occurring.
BSM case managers act as concierges who invite guests to receive a wide range of social services at BSM, through on-site partners, and other community service providers. On-site services include, but are not limited to: mental health, medical, and substance abuse services, as well as immediate needs such as a mailing address, ID assistance and benefits procurement, clothing, and toiletries. Community partner services focus on assistance finding adequate shelter and permanent housing, connection to employment, legal services, veteran outreach, and help meeting other needs. By creating an atmosphere of hospitality where guests can choose how they receive support, BSM is able to build relationships with many vulnerable individuals who have difficulty connecting with services due to complex barriers such as a mental illness, or problems with substance abuse.
Position Summary: The Case Manager (CM) will be on a team that will ultimately comprise four CMs who will provide a variety of direct services to individuals experiencing food and shelter insecurities, and a wide variety of behavioral health issues. The person in this position will in time supervise a team of case management interns. In coordination with the Director of Social Services, the CMs will work to continuously improve effective program performance, and collaborate with other providers and policymakers to meet the needs of vulnerable adults in Philadelphia. The Case Managers will work primarily during normal business hours, but the ideal candidate will be available on weekends and evening hours as needed.
We are looking for a highly energetic, divergent thinker who has demonstrated a capacity to think and work “outside the box”. At the same time our ideal candidate has an established track record (i.e. 3 years experience minimum; 5 years preferred) of increasing responsibilities, and for delivering excellent service to clients in challenging settings.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in the coordination of services to ensure that all aspects of the program run smoothly and respond to any crises that arise.
- Develop trusting relationships with guests and engage them in services for mental health, substance abuse, physical health, employment, legal issues, and (when possible) housing referrals. Facilitate referrals to services to ensure a smooth and established connection.
- Consistent presence and availability to guests during hours building is open to the public.
- Maintain up-to-date case notes using our information management system.
- Assist in the evaluation and improve performance of the case management program and BSM Social Service programs.
- Supervise case management interns as field supervisor and contribute to efforts to evaluate and expand internship program.
- Actively look for ways for BSM to expand or change programs to fill unmet needs.
- Support development and volunteer efforts as needed, representing organization at key organizational events.
- Support other staff in BSM’s Hospitality Collaborative as needed to maintain daily operations.
- Comfort with public speaking and willingness to maintain ongoing research and outreach to develop relationships at outside agencies and resources essential to delivering best service to our guests.
- Participate in relevant services provider groups, advocacy coalitions, and city policy workgroups.
- Contribute to the management, preparation and oversight of BSM’s overnight respite during three months of winter.
- A minimum of three years of experience working in services for people experiencing homelessness, mental health, and/or substance abuse issues.
- Experience working with ex-offenders (returning citizens) strongly preferred.
Master of Social Work with licensure ability to supervise students and interns.
- Intermediate training and/or experience in supervision and program management.
- Knowledge of Philadelphia systems available to individuals experiencing homelessness, housing and/or food insecurity, and deep poverty, including community resources addressing benefits behavioral health, emergency shelter, re-entry.
- Demonstrated capacity to work in a team of dedicated professionals in a challenging environment.
- Sophisticated understanding of the short and long-term impacts of trauma and the response that demands from providers of services.
- Understanding of the value of a harm-reduction approach to case management.
- Experience with group work and/or supervising case management teams preferred.
- Flexibility and openness to working in a fast-paced environment with guests from diverse racial, cultural, and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Strong communications skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong boundaries.
Salary and Benefits: Competitive salary and benefits package offered.
To apply: Please email resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Case Manager” in the email subject line. Please no phone calls or walk-in inquiries. EOE. Unfortunately, we can only contact those selected for an interview.